Transitioning To Adult Services

The Division has been strengthening transition-age services, which has been the direct result of a coordinated and collaborative commitment of state agencies— BHDDH, RI Department of Education (RIDE) and the Office of Rehabilitative Services (ORS). The significant partnerships we have built with our community stakeholders has been central to our collective work and helped enhance the vision we all share of an integrated life in the community. This vision is achieved through true person-centered planning that enables people to define the direction of their lives. While there is still work ahead, we are making progress.

The transition from childhood to adulthood is a very important time in a person’s life. As a young adult or parent/caregiver of a young adult, you play a large role in the planning process when transitioning from school and children’s services to adult services and supports. This Transition Road Map has been created to give you and your family an overview of this process and provide helpful links to information. English or Spanish

The Division has created a Transition Timeline for Caregivers and Youth to assist in planning during the transition years. Please see attached in English or Spanish.

For information on Transition into Adult Services through the Division of Developmental Disabilities, please read this brochure in English or Spanish.

For information on Transition into Adulthood for youth with Behavioral Health needs, check out the Take Charge of Your Behavioral Health Guidebook and Guidebook en Español. This is a great roadmap to help locate and use available resources as teens transition into adulthood.

Click here for a listing of Transition Contacts at DDO Agencies.

Please click here for IEP notification subpage.

Informational Session on DD Eligibility/SIS/Transition

The Division of Developmental Disabilities held an informational session on Nov. 15th on services and supports that may be available after high school.  Invitation Flyer English Spanish 

  • Recordings of this meeting can be found below:
  • Please click here to view the PowerPoint Presentation


Parent/Student-Provider Chat Meetings:

A series of 4 meetings were scheduled where families/students could listen and speak directly with staff from adult agencies who provide support and services to many students once they exit high school.  Some of these meetings do include the ASL interpretation on screen.

  • Please click here to view the 3/24/22 meeting with West Bay RI, J. Arthur Trudeau Memorial Center, Work Opportunities Unlimited. If prompted, copy and paste this passcode: YdVJt8^u
  • Please click here to view the 4/7/22 meeting with ProAbility, Seven Hills of RI, and Action Based Enterprises (ABE).  
  • Please click here to view the 4/28/22 meeting with The Fogarty Center, Perspectives Corporation, and Goodwill of Southern New England.
  • Please click here to view the 5/11/22 meeting with the Maher Center, Frank Olean Center, and Looking Upwards.

Additional resources and information


Application Process:

The Division has an eligibility by 17 policy which encourages students to apply for adult DD services as early as 16 years 10 months. Early applications allow for additional planning time and assist in a smoother transition from school to adult services. Application information can be found on the Eligibility and Application page here

Rhode Island Parent Information Network (RIPIN) supports students, young adults with disabilities and their families as they transition to adult services and learn about the options and resources available.  RIPIN staff work with young adults with disabilities and their families to actively participate in making informed decisions about the services they receive.  RIPIN staff are available to assist youth and their families to complete the DDD application for service.  Please contact RIPIN at (401) 270-0101 or visit their website here.

The Division also offers a Frequently Asked Questions document in English and Spanish. Para comunicarse con alguien re: información preliminar con respecto a la transición por favor llame al 401-462-3014.